Saturday, January 7, 2017

Dressage in the snow

Uphill posture (in comparison)
Dressage in the snow today...We arrived home a day early from our vacation, and Sunny and I enjoyed a beautiful ride in the snow.


Downhill posture (in comparison)
I like comparing these 2 still photos of our ride. In both Sunny is relaxed and easily moving forward on a loose rein.  However in the first picture he is lifting the base of his neck and his body balance is much more 'uphill' when compared to the second photo. In the second photo his head/neck is extended and lowered which moves his body balance much more on his forehand. I am also leaning forward more in the 2nd photo which may contribute to this as well.  According to Biomechanics and Physical Training of the Horse by Dr. Jean-Marie Denoix, moving with the head/neck lowered and extended exercises the thoracic muscle girdle, developing muscles (specifically the pectoral and serratus muscles) that will later help him lift the base of his neck for improved support and lightening of the forehand when the neck is in an natural position.  Whereas in the first photo he is already using whole body in a better weight-carrying posture.  I find this interesting to analyze and enjoy improving my skill riding so I am better able to help Sunny.



We practiced a little dressage, and as always prioritized relaxation.  I enjoy Sunny's consistent improvement.  Today he was much lighter and more responsive (in regards to contact and aids), and his turns/circles improve with each ride. He is losing his balance less which is especially noticeable when changing directions -- rather than fall on his inside shoulder, Sunny is more routinely lifting his withers/base of neck and bending through the turns.  He is also more consistent about following my body without always needing rein or leg to steer or stop. And his shoulder-ins are becoming much easier! Today I felt we had enough connection that I could consider starting to play with bridleless/neck rope riding soon.  We also did our 2nd arena session of cantering.  Initially he trotted faster but I kept persisting with my canter/go forward request until he tried a canter.  Then I told him he was wonderful and we had a break.  We started with the left hand and he improved with a few transitions and nice bits of canter, but to the right he 'got it'.  He started to go easily forward and immediately into the canter for 1-2 transitions, skipping the extended trot and seemed to enjoy moving out.  His canter is still amazing, like a porch glider, and he did naturally pick up the correct lead each direction.  I am confident in a few sessions we will have lovely canter and can then progress to canter with relaxation and extended head/neck.
I am pretty excited by his front leg extension, this is a small relaxed trot and WOW! Can't wait to see his extended trot develop eventually.
I just like this photo showing the stance phase of the trot, he is not collapsing on his forehand as much as commonly seen (in my other pictures!!) in this stride phase. Plus the snow and mountains are pretty :) 


This posture is more typical of what I see in nice endurance ride photos, of  a horse moving forward eagerly down the trail. However I don't think he is actually lifting the base of his neck better than in the first photo, but the higher head carriage, in general, results in a more uphill posture



No comments:

Post a Comment